Wednesday, June 6, 2007

"All I really need to know. . ."

Whatever happened to Robert Fulghum? Beloved folksy minister-author of All I Really Need to Know and Uh Oh: Some Observations from Both Sides of the Refrigerator Door, with their meditations on children, chicken-fried steak and Salvation Army bell-ringing. He seems tailor-made for the blogosphere, with his random anecdotes extrapolated in to life lessons. His signature is even a little cartoony graphic.

But I haven't heard about him in years and years, so imagine my surprise when I googled him (oh sweet Swiss army knife of the Web) and found that he is, in fact blogging.

Not exactly blogging. More of a journal. No comments or interactivity; a little more room between entries. I actually think he probably should democratize the format and embrace more of a conventional blog format because so much of his published writing depends upon the stories others have told him. Evidently, he's big in the Czech Republic right now. Or at least he was in 2006. . .

On some level, though, I respect his adherence to traditional, non-UGC format. I actually am not taking all that well to it myself. I want to research, outline, draft and edit; the blog thing is counterintuitive. Actually, it's intuitive, but why would I want to hang my intuitions out there for the whole world to see? It's a weird medium. In a world where everyone writes, who really wants to read?

No comments: