Monday, March 2, 2009

Fromage Find

While I couldn't qualify as anyone's affineur, I'm definitely more than a cheese novice who has tasted more than my share of the runny, the moldy, and the smelly. So I was pleasantly surprised to encounter a cheese I hadn't tried before at Whole Foods yesterday. Ossau Iraty is a mild, nutty ewe's milk cheese, semi hard and sliceable. It manages to combine a bit of St. Andre's butteriness with the nuttiness of gruyere. It's damn tasty, is what I'm saying. It hails from the western Pyrenees and I'm eager to try it during its June-September peak, when the ewes graze higher up in the mountains, resulting in a more robust, nutty flavor. Would be a most welcome addition to a French cheese plate where the stinky & runny, bleu, and chevre bases are already covered.

So now you have the cheese; how do you cut it? Everything you need to know about decoupage here.

No comments: